Friday, June 23, 2006

June 23, 2006 Silence in the Courtroom

June 22, 2006
County Commission Meeting

I have been attacked unrelentingly and incessantly by Hamblen County Mayor David Purkey---almost from the moment I took office on September 1, 2002.

If I walk in the room, you can sense his blood pressure rising. If I speak, the attacks begin.

At yesterday's meeting of the Hamblen County Commission, I asked for permission to address my fellow commissioners.

I handed my statement to all commissioners and to the County Clerk, and I asked that it be placed in the record.

I gave a copy to the Citizen-Tribune reporter. Then I stepped up to the podium.

Right after I made my brief introductory comments, Chairman Joe Spoone tried to stop me from continuing.

Joe, of course, kept looking over to the jury box for signals from Mayor Purkey and others about what he should do.

Joe asked if I could back up my statement. I said "Yes."

Then Commissioner Larry Baker tried to delay or postpone my statement to a later time. I insisted on the right to address the commission and to proceed.

Things got quiet and I resumed my remarks.

My comments were lengthy, and I will include the full text on this blog in several postings this weekend.

While I have been extremely patient in the face of a never-ending barrage from the County Mayor, it's time for the personal attacks to stop.

The County Mayor needs to quit trying to divert attention from the county's finances and his own actions with constant public outbursts. He doesn't like me. So what?

He needs to stop the whining, deal with the financial questions, and explain how and where and how county money has been spent.

One example: He needs to stand up and explain what has been spent on each capital improvements project---where the money came from, what was paid out, and, yes, attach an itemization showing who got what.

I ran on accountability, and I am disgusted by the Mayor's attacks on anyone and everyone who asks for financial information.

In his own words, he is the county's "chief financial officer."

Then deal with the financial questions.

No comments: