Monday, November 27, 2006

November 27, 2006 Remembering A Wonderful Thanksgiving

I hope that Thanksgiving was a warm, special holiday for all.

Ron and I visited with our families. Our son Will and his wife Dr. Katie Kanipe-Noe live in town, and our daughters Jenny and Katie were home on holiday break from school.

The food was great---as always.

At Thanksgiving dinner, my family has a traditional meal of turkey, cranberry sauce, olives, tossed salad, mashed potatoes and gravy, rolls, lima bean casserole, pumpkin and assorted other pies, and other goodies.

We each have a food "assignment." I am in charge of mashed potatoes. I am not a great cook and don't pretend to be. I guess you could say I am very much cooking-challenged.

Despite my cooking deficiency, there are two things I can make that usually turn out very nicely---mashed potatoes and chocolate chip cookies.

Now about mashed potatoes. A good mashing after cooking gets you started right. But the real secret to great mashed potatoes is plenty of butter. Isn't that a shocker!

Of course, be sure you add "just enough" milk, salt, and pepper, too.

Mash to a creamy consistency and you've got a tasty side dish that goes well with just about everything.

Packaged foods are nice for convenience, but I never use mashed potato mixes.

There is no comparison between real v. packaged when it comes to this item!

No comments: